Tuesday 6 January 2009

Church rejects crucifix!


How horrific does a crucifix have to be before it makes sense to take it down?
For me this is another example of the tension between being inwardly focussed and outwardly focussed. I, and I suspect many others in the church, find the hope that the vicar wants people to find in the symbolism of the cross - the willing submission of Jesus to such an horrific death.
And yet to those outside the church that is not an obvious message - at least not until they have crossed the threshhold and had things explained. So at one level I can understand what the vicar is trying to do, but at another I too want to complain about the dumbing down of our faith - without the crucifixion there is no Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails