Thursday 17 December 2009

Radio Africa

Local Radio is back in Amersham again this year, though only for 48 hours http://amersham.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/2009/12/charity-radio-station-set-to-g.html.

This year it is raising money for Africa Link, and broadcasting from Cafe Africa on 87.7FM and on the Cafe Africa Web site.

I will be broadcasting from 3pm until 4pm (the pm is necessary, this year it is running 24 hours/day) on Tuesday 22nd with similar mix of music and chat as last year. I plan to have at least one guest studying for ordination, so why not pop along and ask us some questions?

You might ask what the point of things like this is - and I looked back to find my blogged explanation from last year - but it wasn't there! So here goes.

Last year I had no idea where this would lead. After 4 weeks of broadcasting there was a greater sense of community around the whole town. Sure, not everyone joined in, but the age range of those involved must have spanned over 70 years. There were even stories of children listening to the radio together! It also generated a sense of community in the way that any event does - and on top of that it raised money for charity.

Being local radio it even has a really local impact - the first show I had to leave early as I was taking the 8am service. I announced this on the show, and when I got to church one of the congregation said that it was a good job that I had as it meant that they knew they had to leave too!

2 comments:

  1. Shame it is only an hour this year.. really enjoyed your early Sunday shows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show - well done to you Sue and Sharon - the hour flew past. Why can't church be like that?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails