Friday 14 May 2010

Working from Home and Social Media

Not my office - far too little paper around for that!

I was sparked into thinking about working from home by this blog post.  Although I work from home, and have the issue of not having colleagues working alongside me at least in this church we say morning prayer together every day and have the opportunity to chat afterwards.

However, I am not going to blog on work - I have done that a reasonable amount already, but on my observations on social media.  Perhaps unsurprisingly I know a lot of vicars!  A subset blog and Twitter and Facebook and one of the things that I have noticed is that particularly blogging and Twittering (no I don't tweet) build communities and provide a a virtual neighbour for that displacement activity which is essential when that sermon just has to be written (like now!).  This is far from a scientific observation, but I am starting to wonder whether the growth in these media is in part down to the reduction in community in the workplace, providing a virtual community which will still be there when the current job isn't.

However, it can also be very addictive and at present I don't have time to tweet and don't feel the lack of community - although either of these might change!

1 comment:

  1. Tweeting saved me time yesterday - I needed to do something on Darwin - put a Tweet out and got great info straight back without searching for it :)

    It is also like being in an office with folk, something great or lousy happened and you can tweet it to others, like you would say something in the office. Probably have to mind your language a bit more on Twitter though

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails